After you install Druapl 8, you can login into Drupal system as administrator. Administrator is top most authority for this Drupal 8 installation who has all the rights of user management, configuration etc. Drupal 8 has lot of options and features which are configured by the administrator or other authorized users. Configuration sections has options for general settings of the website and it can be accessed from Primary menu.
Drupal 8 website configuration
- Site Information – These are general settings for Drupal 8 system like website name, slogan, default front page and error pages etc
- Cron – Drupal 8 runs certain tasks periodically like update check, content indexing to search engines etc. You can set time interval for cron or run the cron manually.
Each website use different media types like images,video etc . Administrator can set different styles for images like small image, medium image, large image etc. There are multiple effects available like crop, resize, rotate,scale etc which can be applied on uploaded image.
REGIONAL AND LANGUAGE
As the name suggest, administrator can set default time zone, country and date/time for this website.
As you will see that there is a People section in primary menu also which has option for Drupal 8 user management and access control but the People option in Configuration section has general settings for user management.
There are certain general settings for user registration and cancellation. You can configure different types of email messages for account activation, cancellation, password recovery etc.
There is one important thing to remember about the user registration. The default user registration form has few fields like user name, password, email etc. If you want to collect additional information during user registration, you can add more fields by Add field option in Manage Fields tab.
- There is one important setting in this section i.e Performance . As we know that Drupal 8 is a complex system and dynamic page generation may take time so its better that visitors are supplied information from the cached content. Page Caching drastically improves the performance of website.
- Drupal 8 also provides option to aggregate CSS and JS files which is essential for reducing the number of http request. In my point of view, you must select the caching option and CSS/JS aggregate option for better performance.
- You also get option to put website in maintenance mode.
There are few other options Like RSS publishing , search and meta information etc for Drupal 8 website configuration which you can explore easily.
I hope , you could have understood the basic set of options in the Drupal 8 website configuration section.